Barefoot Opera is committed to protecting your privacy. This notice has been drafted in accordance with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”). It explains how we look after your personal data (in all situations where we collect your data) and sets out your privacy rights. No personal information we collect is sold to any third party, nor shared with any third party except as described below for the purpose of carrying out Barefoot Opera activities.
The legislation requires us to identify the lawful basis applicable for our collection and use of personal data. Barefoot Opera is a charitable incorporated organisation with the objects of:
- encouraging emerging professional opera singers to find new approaches to the rehearsal and performance of opera;
- promoting opera, music recital and concerts to all audiences, particularly new ones, by using a new approach to classic works which encourages accessible productions;
- supporting the development of outstanding young singers and offering them principal operatic roles when and where appropriate;
- providing outreach workshops in schools and community groups.
We have reviewed the various legal bases for the collection and processing of data and have concluded that in the case of Barefoot Opera such collection and processing is in our legitimate interest for achieving the above objects. As a further safeguard, however, in order to protect your own interests, there are circumstances where we require your prior consent before taking certain action.
For the purpose of the GDPR, Barefoot Opera is the Data Controller and responsible for your personal data. If you have any questions regarding the collection or processing of your personal data, please write to:
The Data Controller, c/o Barefoot Opera, 6, The Uplands, St. Leonards-on-Sea, TN38 0HL, or
The personal data we collect and process
We collect information from you when you use our website, book tickets for an event through our website, or when you agree to become a Friend or otherwise sponsor Barefoot Opera or a Barefoot Opera event. This information will be of different kinds, but may include details of:
- your identity (name, title etc.);
- how to contact you;
- your bank account and payment card details;
- transactions you have undertaken with Barefoot;
- your IP address and technology used to access this website;
- how you use our website, products and services, including your communication preferences.
Some of this data will be provided by you directly – for example, when completing a booking or filling in a form. Details of your interaction with our site may be gathered by cookies, server logs or similar technologies.
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit, and which contain information about you. They are widely used in order to track a visitor’s use of the website and to compile statistical reports on website activity.
How we use your personal data
We will only use your personal data:
- where we need to perform a contract with you;
- where it is necessary for our legitimate interests, or those of a third party, and where our legitimate interests are not overridden by yours or by your fundamental rights;
- where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation; or
- where you have given your express consent.
Your consent is sought before we send you direct marketing communications on a regular basis. You have the right to withdraw consent to marketing at any time by contacting us.
You may be asked to provide contact details in the form of an email address but also possibly a postal address and telephone number. We retain these contact details on a database in order to monitor attendance at Barefoot events. We may use them in the first instance to ask you if you wish to receive newsletters and other communications about Barefoot Opera activities. If you agree to this, Barefoot Opera will keep your personal details on a mailing list database.
Sharing of your information
Barefoot Opera does not sell personal data to any third party. However, there may be third parties with whom your personal data will be shared. These will be :
- service providers acting as processors based in the United Kingdom who provide database, booking, IT and system administration services
- authorities such as HM Revenue & Customs or other regulators who may require reporting of processing activities in certain circumstances.
Personal information will be kept indefinitely for the purposes specified above unless and until you request that it be deleted or otherwise withdraw your consent.
Barefoot Opera is a charity, and relies on donations, grants and sponsorship in addition to revenue from ticket sales. However, appeals for funds are made through communications to which you will have consented. We do not share your information with any third parties for the purpose of direct marketing telephone calls to you for fundraising purposes.
Concerns you may have
If you have any concerns whatsoever about any information we may hold about you, please contact the data privacy manager referred to above. If there is no response that you consider satisfactory, you have the right to address your concern to the Information Commissioner’s office. Details of how to do this can be found online at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/.